Be advised:

This blogger will present some stupid, useless and/or dangerous ideas. Do try it at home!

My other blog about bicycle touring:

Montag, 15. Oktober 2012

Making a bearing out of a front hub


For my mountainbike building projekt, I needed a reliable bearing for the rear suspension. After researching a lot, I came up to modify an old front hub. Front hubs can take a lot and are well sealed. 

I used my drilling machine and an angle grinder to lathe the hub int the correct shape:  




When I was approaching the correct diameter, I used a file tool for the last corrections. It took about 2 hours until the diameter was correct. After putting the hub into the freezer, I hammered it into the steel pipe. This pipe will later be brazed into the frame and hold the rear suspension.

I think it is a nice idea, how to make a reliable bearing without any advanced tools. There are several other applications I can think about, like making a wind turbine, or a connection for a self build bicycle trailer.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen